All done with the digging!

Beds dug and mulchedSince getting to the halfway point earlier in May, I’ve been popping across to the allotment as much as time will allow and doing more digging and clearing. The weather (thankfully!) has been good, a little too hot at times, and intermingled with occassional rainfall. Finally, after much mopping of a sweaty brow and achey shoulder and back, the final digging and clearing of the beds is complete. The final two beds have now been mulched and are all ready for planting up soon. All the cow manure which has rotted well has been used on the beds too. The first two beds mulched and completed a few short weeks ago, have held the moisture in well. There are a few little weeds popping up on the beds, mainly Fat Hen, but these are very easy to pull out of the mulch when at the second leaves stage. Before planting up, I’ll do a quick weed, then give it a gently hoe in places to break up the larger clumps of manure.

I have a huge pile of turf leftover that I cleared which I’m aiming to cover with sheeting or straw once I’ve spread it out more and created some rows. On this, I’ll plant squashes that I’ve got growing in readiness back in the courtyard.

Stones dug upI have amassed lots of stones that I pulled out of the soil too. Some of these I’ll be using for a wildlife and bug shelter area, and thankfully another allotmonteer whose plot is on the lower damp end of the site, asked if he could have some of the stones as he’s putting in some drainage. My push lawnmower is no more, and the hand scythe isn’t brilliant with the swards of thick grass so will be succumbing to using a strimmer on the grass paths on my plot and the surrounding paths and spaces near the plot, and also can use it as I do more freelance gardening in time too.

 

Comments are closed.